Monday, January 14, 2013

Thoughts on Style at the Golden Globes



I think it's interesting to read the coverage from various media outlets regarding celebrities sartorial choices at the Golden Globes and other awards shows. In fact, I don't particularly give a shit about awards shows, minus all the hoopla the next day regarding who looks fabulous and who looked like a fucking train wreck. The interesting thing that I've noticed is that a lot of the opinions I've read seem to completely disagree. For example, the notoriously hard-to-please Fug Girls liked Lena Dunham's dress, naming it their "Best Surprise", while Artinfo very much did not. Personally, I thought it was very very meh.
Mehtastic.

Here are some that I did like:

I see why some people are gonna hate on this, because it's a little much and it kind of reminds me of something my grandmother would have had in the '80s, but it fits her body like a glove and the deep-V keeps it from reading as too weird or old lady.

I don't know why I like this so much! I feel like I should totally hate it or like, make some comment about a curtain/couch cushion vomit explosion, but I just think it's fun and fresh. Good for you, Lucy Liu!

This isn't anything super special, but it's really glamorous and pretty and somehow manages to not wash her out as one might imagine it would.  Love me some simple, unadulterated, old-Hollywood glamour.

 Here are some that I really, really super-duper loved: 


I just think this is gorgeous and looks so lovely against her skin color. Also I envy any woman who can pull off bangs to that degree.

I guess I'm really into neutral-hued gowns these days, but I also think it's the lip color that's really making this look for me. I could do without the little bow, but who's being picky?
I feel like a lot of people would hate this or something, but I FUCKING LOVE IT. It's so sexy and badass without trying too hard. I get sick of seeing so many overly "princessy" gowns - it's not prom, dude. If I could go to an awards show, I would totally want to wear this dress.

And finally, Nicole Richie, whom I've adored since her Simple Life days. She really knocked this one out of the park, no? It's amazing how sexy a totally covered-up dress can be when it fits right and has some sparkle.
And now, here are what I would like to refer to as the "Oh, honey, no"s of the evening:



Okay, full disclosure: I detest Anne Hathaway.  And okay, I get that you lost a bunch of weight and cut your hair for Les Mis, but are you a fucking major movie star or not? To me, this just looks so sad. The color washes her out, the silhouette does nothing for her. She is drowning in blah. Is Rachel Zoe still styling this woman? If so, I need some answers as to what happened here PLEASE.


I guess I'm hating on another white dress, but I think this is totally wrong for a different reason. Lea Michele just always looks so cheesy and for me, this is no exception. She totally could have bought this dress at some prom store on Long Island. Perhaps right next door to wherever she got that atrocious spray tan.
I don't even really know what to say about this. Someone needs to tell J.Lo that she's like 40 years old and she should probably stop trying to "shock" everyone with her boobs or whatever and invest in something just a touch more classy.

And finally: I really wanted to like this, because it's an unexpected pop of color and that's cool.  But wow, this is doing NOTHING good for her body. She looks pregnant. Is she pregnant? And why is it all wrinkled in the back? Don't you have like, assistants to take care of that shit for you? This looks like it seriously could have some from the sale rack at Forever 21, and that's never a good thing.

And now that I've gotten all my Monday aggression out by bashing random celebrities, it's back to the grind for me. Disagree with me? Love a look that I forgot? Let me know in the comments section!



No comments:

Post a Comment